Is purchasing annual leave permissible?

Q: Can an employee ask to not be paid for hours worked (as a one-off) and have their payment converted to annual leave instead?

A: Generally, you can agree with award/agreement-free employees to provide extra annual leave in exchange for foregoing an equivalent amount of pay. This is often described as ‘purchased annual leave’. For employees covered by an award or agreement, this is only allowed if provision is made for it in the relevant award or agreement.

Please note: The answer is correct at the time of publishing. Be aware that laws may change over time. Refer to Annual leave for current advice.

The Workplace Bulletin

Get the latest employment law news, legal updates, case law and practical advice from our experts sent straight to your inbox every week.

Sending confirmation email...
Great! Now check your inbox and click the link to confirm your subscription.
Please enter a valid email address!